Serving our community since 1958
Winston Medical Center has been serving the community’s health care needs since 1958. Established under the name of Winston County Community Hospital, the East Main facility replaced the Louisville Hospital located in downtown Louisville. With the use of Hill-Burton, state and local funds, the 49-bed hospital began accepting patients on Oct 1, 1958.
In 1972 a 40 bed Skilled Nursing Home was constructed and began accepting patients. It was constructed utilizing state and local funds.
The present modern three story 65-bed facility began accepting patients in 1981. In 1995 a new addition to the radiology department added a Helical CAT Scanner to the services at WMC. In 1999, a major renovation focused on the expansion of the Emergency Room and several ancillary departments. The 6,000 sq-ft addition included a new emergency room, a large outpatient/emergency department lobby, expanded laboratory services, respiratory services, and Endoscopy services. In addition to the expansion, the old emergency area was completely remodeled adding an additional 4 trauma beds.
In 1983 the old 49-bed hospital was renovated and converted into nursing home beds bringing the total number of nursing home beds to 82. Since 1983, additions to the nursing home have been made bringing the total number of beds to 120.
In 1994, the Medical Center was leased from the County by the Winston County Medical Foundation, a not for profit corporation.