Serving our community since 1958
Winston Medical Center currently operates in the temporary location at 923 South Church Avenue located behind Teter's Floral Products. Winston Medical Center is a fully functional 11 acute, observation or skilled hospital bed facility with a 24/7 Emergency Department and two health clinics.
Winston Medical Center pre-tornado was a full-service facility that serves as Winston County's only hospital offering 24/7 emergency room care, inpatient hospital care, inpatient geriatric psychiatric care, long-term care and a wide range of outpatient services. Winston Medical Center owns and operates Winston Medical Clinic, LLC which offers clinic services to our community in Louisville and Noxapater, MS
Winston Medical Center has been serving the community’s health care needs since 1958. Established under the name of Winston County Community Hospital, the facility replaced the Louisville Hospital which was located in downtown Louisville. With the use of Hill-Burton, state and local funds, the hospital began accepting patients on Oct 1, 1958.
Mission: To improve the quality of life to citizens in Winston County and surrounding communities
Vision: To be the healthcare provider of choice
Values: Performance, Accountability, Service, Stewardship, Integrity, and Teamwork
Historical time line
· In 1958, began operation under the name Winston County Community Hospital.
· In 1972, a 40 bed Skilled Nursing Home was constructed and began accepting patients. It was constructed utilizing state and local funds.
· In 1981, the new 65 bed hospital was constructed and began accepting patients.
· In 1983, the old 49-bed hospital was renovated and converted into nursing home beds, bringing the total number of nursing home beds to 82. Since 1983, additions to the nursing home have been made, bringing the total number of beds to 120.
· In 1994, Winston County Medical Foundation, a 501(c)3 not for profit, leased the medical center from Winston County and began conducting business as Winston Medical Center.
· In 1995, a new addition to the radiology department added a Helical CAT Scanner to the services at WMC.
· In 1999, a major renovation focused on the expansion of the emergency department and several ancillary departments. The 6000 sq. ft. addition included a new emergency department, a large outpatient center, new lobby, expanded laboratory services, respiratory services, and endoscopy services. In addition to the expansion, the old emergency area was completely remodeled, adding an additional 4 trauma beds.
· In 2013, a major renovation was conducted in the nursing home. It focused on modernizing the facility, adding a new wing to relocate existing rooms, adding a large dining area and expanding the outdoor recreational space for residents. Winston Medical Center purchased Ard Medical Clinic which was renamed to Winston Medical Clinic-Main Campus. In December 2013, Winston Medical Center added another health clinic in Noxapater, Mississippi which is named Winston Medical Clinic-Noxapater.
In 2014, Winston Medical Center, relocated to 923 South Church Avenue to a temporary location after the destruction of the tornado that destroyed Winston Medical Center and much of its community.
On April 28, 2014, Winston Medical Center took a direct hit from an EF4 tornado and lost the buildings it had occupied for most of the last 60 years. Despite this tragic event, the Medical Center was able to protect the residents and patients in the facility while at the same time managing to treat new patients who came to the emergency room as the result of their storm related injuries. Winston Medical Center accomplished this goal by following its established Emergency Preparedness Policies and Procedures. As a result, the Medical Center was able to report zero deaths and only one minor injury to the many residents, patients, visitors and staff who were in the Medical Center and surrounding clinic buildings at the time the tornado hit.
At the same time, Winston Medical Center gained the knowledge that “it’s what’s on the inside that counts”. The staff of Winston Medical Center utilized foresight, skills, compassion and most of all dedication to persevere through this experience. Winston Medical Center proved that it is a true community where its staff, patients and residents can be confident that every effort in any event will be put forth to ensure the overall care and well being for anyone who chooses Winston Medical Center as their provider.